|Merton College Library|
Oxford, United Kingdom, 2005
Many people have asked me what I would recommend as a reading list for younger (or older) Catholics wishing to get well-grounded not only in the Catholic Christian faith, but also to obtain a solidly Catholic worldview. So I decided to create this page. Fair warning here; I pull no punches. If you decide to follow this reading plan, I cannot be held responsible for what may happen to you. It is possible you may experience a radical change in thinking, which could change your life for the better, not only making you a better Catholic, but also a more well-rounded person. You may also experience an "awakening" of sorts, to the total farce that is our current global-political-economic system, and find yourself completely unrepresented in American politics anymore. You may find yourself dissatisfied for what commonly passes for Catholic worship these days, and could possibly find yourself seeking out more traditional means of Catholic worship. You may find yourself knowledgeable about the Catholic faith, enough to educate your children, spouse, family and friends. So proceed at your own risk. You have been fairly warned...
Foundations of Faith: These are Must Have for every Catholic Household...
- Catholic Scripture Study Bible: RSV-CE Large Print Edition is a great family Bible.
- Catechism of the Catholic Church: Second Edition standard reference
- Baltimore Catechism Set (Tan Classics) for the whole family (all ages)
- Catholicism for Protestants will prepare you to explain and defend the faith against common Evangelical/Fundamentalist challenges
Must Have for Families with Children:
- The Action Bible is an illustrated Bible for younger children only, children should begin reading the real Bible just as soon as their reading skills permit based on parental judgement.
- Saint Joseph First Communion Catechism (No. 0) for very young children
- The New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism (No. 1) for children 8 to 12
- The New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism (No. 2) for teens 13 to adult
- Friendly Defenders Catholic Flash Cards will prepare your children to defend the faith.
Catholic Living in the Modern World:
Catholic Politics and Economics
- Liberty, the God That Failed: Policing the Sacred and Constructing the Myths of the Secular State, from Locke to Obama
- The Servile State
- The Third Way: Foundations of Distributism As Contained in the Writings of Pope Blessed Leo XIII and Gilbert K. Chesterton
- Star-Spangled Crown: A Simple Guide to the American Monarchy
- Puritan's Empire: A Catholic Perspective on American History
For English-Speaking Catholics