Sunday, March 16, 2014

Statement on Vatican II

The Second Vatican Council (Vatican II)
A.D. 1962 - 1965
To make the intentions of this blog crystal clear, the blogger now makes the following statement...

I, Shane Schaetzel, fully support the Second Vatican Council.  Since my conversion to the Catholic Church, in the year 2000, I have always supported it, and I have never stopped supporting it. I believe it to have been an ecumenical council of the entire Catholic Church that was pastoral in nature, as stated by both Pope Paul VI and Pope Benedict XVI.  My own conversion to the Catholic Christian faith is a direct result of the fruit of this Council.  For it was not until AFTER I read the documents of Vatican II that I converted to Catholicism.  Of particular importance to my own conversion was the document entitled Unitatis Redintegratio - Decree on Ecumenism. I have always read Vatican II in the context of historic Church tradition, and continue to do so today, in what Pope Benedict XVI called the "hermeneutic of continuity."

I also support the reverent celebration of the Novus Ordo mass (Missal of Pope Paul VI) and believe it to be a fully valid and sanctifying liturgy of the Catholic Church.  I believe this to be one of two valid forms of the Roman Rite, which coexists alongside the Vetus Ordo mass (Missal of Saint Pius V), as stated by Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Francis.  I do not accept the claims of those who state the Novus Ordo mass is somehow invalid or "less efficacious" than the Vetus Ordo mass.  I don't accept such ridiculous claims, so please don't bother with trying to convince me otherwise, as I will not listen.

While I am a follower of the Anglican Use of the Roman Rite, as practised in the Personal Ordinariates for Anglicans within the Catholic Church, this is in no way to be misconstrued as some kind of personal rejection of the Novus Ordo mass or the Second Vatican Council.  If anything, the exact opposite is true.  It is my acceptance and embrace of the Novus Ordo and Vatican II that make my embrace of the Anglican Use possible.  Essentially I am a traditionalist, but when I say that, I mean traditional in the sense of loving authentic traditional expressions of liturgy and the classical understanding of Church doctrine.  I am not one who attacks something just because it is "new."  It is possible to do "new" things in a very traditional way, and that is how I understand the proper celebration of the Novus Ordo mass. Granted, the Novus Ordo is a relatively "new" liturgy, but it has some very traditional elements and can be celebrated in a traditional way. The same could be said of the Anglican Use liturgy, which is in many way more "new" than the Novus Ordo liturgy, especially to the Catholic Church, but nevertheless, it has many traditional elements, and can (and usually is) celebrated in a very traditional way.

While some of my readers may not agree with these statements above, please know, they are what make me who I am as a Catholic Christian.  I cannot imagine myself any other way, nor will I try.  If you have come to this blog looking to recruit another blogger to the growing band of ultra-traditionalists (fundamentalists) who reject Vatican II and the Novus Ordo mass, you are wasting your time with me.  Please move on.  However, if you have just come here to read my thoughts in a genuine spirit of curiosity, then I welcome you, regardless of your personal beliefs and perspectives.

------------------------------------------------------

Click Image to Learn More
Highly recommended by priests and catechists, "Catholicism for Protestants" is a Biblical explanation of Roman Catholic Christianity as told by Shane Schaetzel -- an Evangelical convert to the Catholic Church through Anglicanism.  The book is concise and formatted in an easy-to-read Question & Answer catechism style.  It addresses many of the common questions Protestants have about Catholicism. It is ideal for Protestants seeking more knowledge about the Catholic Church, and for Catholics seeking a quick refresher course on fundamental Catholic teaching. It's an excellent book for Catholics and Protestants alike!

THE BOOK CONTAINS A
NIHIL OBSTAT AND 
IMPRIMATUR
ORDER YOUR COPY HERE

2 comments:

Christopher Sharp said...

There is a middle ground here:

You can recognize that the Pope has the power to regulate the liturgy and can never lose the faith.

You can recognize Vatican II as a valid council that chose in the words of then Cardinal Ratzinger to remain on a modest level; to quote:

"The truth is that this particular council defined no dogma at all, and deliberately chose to remain on a modest level, as a merely pastoral council; and yet many treat it as though it had made itself into a sort of superdogma which takes away the importance of all the rest."

Because Vatican II is a valid (authority bearing) council you can recognize that there is much about the Novus Ordo which in many ways departs from the reforms called for in Sacrosanctum Concilium.

You can recognize the chief architect of the Novus Ordo as an egomaniac who also wanted to alter and 'simplify' Rosary devotions.

You can also recognize that the EF is more edifying to the Faith and more of a perfect expression of the Kingship of Christ than the Norvus Ordo.

You can do all of this without once questioning the validity of the New Mass or the authority of any present or future Pope.

Just because some have raised up a liturgical form to the heights of idolatry, while committing the blasphemy of celebrating a Mass while not in communion with the Pontiff; this does not mean it gives everyone else license to put their head in the sand and to render themselves incapable of rendering respectful and loving critiques.

Ann Frost said...

"Essentially I am a traditionalist, but when I say that, I mean traditional in the sense of loving authentic traditional expressions of liturgy and the classical understanding of Church doctrine." That description of yours describes me too.

It's sad that some Catholics have split into factions, left and right. I was raised Roman Catholic and love the Church, Thank you for defending her.