FULLY CHRISTIAN was formerly CATHOLIC IN THE OZARKS

Wednesday, 5 December 2012

The Anglican Use Hook

The Anglican Use of the Roman Rite
Celebrated here at Our Lady of the Atonement Catholic Church
in San Antonio Texas
Now any good fisherman will tell you to never try to set the hook on the first sign of a bite. Let the fish swim with it for a few seconds, then give the line a good pull. This will get the hook in nice and deep, thus reducing the fish's chance of getting away. I converted to Catholicism in the Spring of 2000.  In fact I was received into the Church, with my wife Penny, on the Easter Vigil of that year.  Penny and I came from nominal Protestant homes, and as young adults we were Evangelical Fundamentalists.  Between 1994 through 1998 I began informal training for the ministry.  My goal was to become pastor for Calvary Chapel, a nondenominational affiliation with strong Fundamentalist, Dispensational, and Charismatic leanings.  However, between 1996 and 1998 something went terribly wrong from an Evangelical perspective.  I began studying two things far more intensely than Evangelicals are supposed to do.  I started digging into the Jewish roots of the Christian faith and the history of the early Church.  Apparently, this was something you're not supposed to do.

A superficial study of these things is required of course, and even encouraged, but one shouldn't spend too long delving into these topics if one wants to remain an Evangelical.  Not me!  I guess I'm a rebel.  Because I dove into these topics head first, and the deeper I got into them, the stronger my desire to learn more.  As a result I found my experience within Evangelicalism lacking, and I could no longer support doctrines that Calvary Chapel required to maintain affiliate status.  So rather than cause a problem within my local affiliate, Penny and I quietly left.  I had discovered that the early Christians, indeed the early Jewish Christians, were far more "catholic" than I was comfortable with.  So I decided we should explore these Catholic customs in a "good safe" Protestant environment.  Thus, Penny and I entered a local Episcopal (Anglican) church.

I'm not sure how to put this, but there are so many historically "Jewish" elements to catholic worship that I don't know where to begin.  Suffice it to say that catholic liturgy offers a seamless connection between ancient Jewish worship and present-day Christianity.  It was the connection I was looking for, but more than that, the beauty and solemnity offered in Anglican catholic worship was the hook. I have never seen this connection between the Jewish roots of Christianity more clearly played out than in the Anglican liturgy.

Now I'm not sure why this is exactly, but I have some theories.  I suspect the Church of England was mindful of this, in creating a liturgy that was universal (catholic), ancient and yet uniquely English.  A great deal of thought went into designing a liturgy that would connect with English-speaking people in a profound way.  The Anglican mass was essentially modeled on the old Roman Catholic Latin mass, now known as the "Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite," but it was modified to incorporate older forms of the Sarum Rite, and it was translated into a form of English that was well understood, but not common to the average street language used in England at the time.  Thus the language of the liturgy is both comprehended and sacred simultaneously.  It's hard to put one's finger on it, but there really is something there.  This was the linchpin, so to speak, the hook that pulled us into the Catholic Church.  Through the Anglican liturgy we were able to put nearly all reservations about the Roman Catholic Church aside.  Within two years time, from 1998 to 2000, we were in full communion with Rome.

The purpose of this short little essay is to simply point out that the Anglican liturgy is a valuable tool for bringing Protestants into the Catholic Church, not only for Anglicans, but for Evangelicals as well.  As Pope Benedict XVI pointed out in his Apostolic Constitution Anglicanorum Coetibus, and the notes that accompanied it, this liturgy is to be viewed as a gift to the Catholic Church, designed to enrich its heritage, and I believe it can do even more than that.  It can also be used as a great tool of evangelism for English-speaking Protestants of nearly all denominations.  I want to encourage Catholics to get familiar with it, and I want to encourage priests and bishops to promote it, whether through the ordinariate or through a diocesan structure.  The Anglican Use of the Roman Rite is the official Anglican Catholic liturgy approved by Rome.  It is a gift to the Catholic Church and it does bring in converts -- even Evangelicals! This may be hard to understand, but it does seem to be the case.  My wife and I are living proof.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Highly recommended by priests and catechists, "Catholicism for Protestants" is a Biblical explanation of the Roman Catholic faith as told by Shane Schaetzel -- an Evangelical convert to the Catholic Church through Anglicanism.  The book is approximately 100 print pages, and formatted in an easy-to-read Question & Answer catechism style.  It addresses many of the common questions Evangelical Protestants have about Catholicism. It is ideal for Protestants seeking more knowledge about the Catholic Church, and for Catholics seeking a quick refresher course on fundamental Catholic teaching. It's an excellent book for Catholics and Protestants alike!  Order Your Copy Today

4 comments:

John said...

The Anglican Use Liturgy is also attracting Roman Catholics back to Holy Mass who have been disenchanted with protestantized informal Ordinary Form in ad populum. The Roman Catholics are looking for Sacred Music, a Communion Rail, a True Sactuary, and Our Lord Reserved in a Tabernacle , central to the Sacrifice of the Holy Mass. They want their Priest Ad Orientem facing Lord, not with his back to Him. In addition they are looking for Benediction, Evensong, Adoration, Confession, Reverent Processions of the Cross and the Blessed Sacrament ,and all the other devotions lost by the modern Church. Johnofthecrumbs

Micha Elyi said...

Now any good fisherman will tell you to never try to set the hook on the first sign of a bite.
--Shane Schaetzel

Aha! That explains why Catholic parishoners are so slow to warm up to newcomers. It's not indifference or cliquiness, it's all part of a cunning plan...

Heh.

Shane Schaetzel said...

LOL! (I actually did laugh out loud on that one.). :-)

Nick D said...

I actually went to the parish depicted in the photo in this post for Solemn High Mass today. It was my first experience with the Book of Divine Worship, and I must say I was blown away! I've never seen anything as solemn, reverent, and beautiful as that Mass in the Novus Ordo; I don't know if I ever will. I hope to return there in the future :-)